Boy dies from ratbite fever

The family of a 10-year-old boy who died last summer from ratbite fever is suing Petco Animal Supplies Inc. for selling them the pet rat.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed Tuesday it ruled the June 12, 2013, death of the 10-year-old boy accidental. He died from streptobacillus moniliformis, more commonly known as ratbite fever, after contact with an infected rat, spokeswoman Sarah Gordon said.

Petco said in a statement it is “deeply saddened by the … family’s tragic loss. The health and safety of people and pets is always a top priority and we take the family’s concerns very seriously.”

The lawsuit will likely involve claims for negligence, loss of consortium, wrongful death, emotional distress and could possibly include claims for the sale of a defective product and other violations of California consumer protection statutes.

Curran & Desharnais handles all types of personal injury cases including: medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents, wrongful death and many other claims. We service clients throughout all of Massachusetts.

If you have a question about a case, contact attorney Joseph Curran of Curran & Desharnais, P.C. to discuss the situation and determine the next best steps, or call us directly at 781-618-3197.

Uncategorized

If you enjoyed this post, please consider to leave a comment or subscribe to the feed and get future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.